General Information About Walton Virtual School
The Walton County School District offers individual courses (up to a full schedule) through the Walton Virtual School to public and home school students who are in grades Kindergarten through 12th.
Through Florida Virtual School and K12, Walton Virtual School is able to offer two (2) different program options: Walton Virtual Full-time and Walton Virtual Part-time. Both programs provide on-line instruction from Walton County teachers who are certified and considered highly-qualified educators by the Florida Department of Education.
Walton Virtual Part-time requirements are as follows:
- Student must be enrolled in a Walton County Public School.
- A full course schedule of at least six (6) courses is required. A combination of courses at the brick and mortar Walton County Public School, Walton Virtual School courses and Florida Virtual School courses are acceptable.
Walton Virtual Full-time requirements are as follows:
- A full course schedule of at least six (6) WVS courses is required. A combination of WVS courses and Florida Virtual School Flex courses are acceptable if a course is not offered thorugh WVS.
- Florida Standards Assessment participation is required.
With the Walton Virtual full-time option, a Walton County diploma may be earned.
Walton Virtual part-time students may be public or home school students; however, since Walton Virtual School is a public school, courses begin and end according to the Walton County School District School Board approved school calendar.
Whether you choose to participate in the full-time or part-time virtual option, you will have:
- The ability to monitor your student’s day to day academic activity at home for the courses that you choose
- The advantage and convenience of a state-of-the-art kindergarten through 12th grade online curriculum for:
• Regular classes
• Honors classes
- The ability to access your student’s online school activity, lessons, grades, and teacher communications
- The advantage of a certified teacher from Walton County to assist you and your student with questions that may arise
• Teachers are required to return calls and e-mails within 24 hours and grade assignments within 48 hours
• Teachers are required to contact parents and students monthly
For 6th through 12th grade, Walton Virtual School utilizes Florida Virtual School curriculum facilitated by certified Walton County School District teachers.
Walton Virtual School 6-12 Courses for the 2020-2021 School Year - Subject to teacher availability
For Kindergarten through 5th grade, Walton Virtual School utilizes K12 curriculum facilitated by certified Walton County School District teachers.
Walton Virtual School offers Language Arts, Mathematics, Science, Social Studies, and Physical Education courses that correspond with the student's grade level for elementary students.
If enrollment in WVS interests you and your student, please keep these things in mind...
Middle and high school students must enroll in a minimum of six courses. Please refer to Walton County School District’s Student Progression Plan for more information.
All students must attend the required administrations of all appropriate Florida assessments, i.e., Florida Standards Assessment (FSA), EOC (End of Course) exams, etc.
Nine week grades will not transfer. Only semester grades will transfer. Any student transferring in to Walton Virtual School will have to begin courses at the beginning.
For middle and high school students, 7-8% of each class must be completed each week. For elementary students, 3% should be completed in each subject each week. Once a student is 20% or more behind, a conference with the parent and student will be required to discuss continued enrollment in Walton Virtual School.
Enrollment in Walton Virtual School will continue from year to year unless a formal withdrawal is requested, and documentation is completed by the parent/guardian.